The Alpha Tau chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho was founded after the Agriculture Majors-Co-Op (Ag. Ma. Co.) became interested in becoming a colony of Alpha Gamma Rho. At this time the Ag. Ma. Co. was renting a house on 303 West Adams Street in Macomb.
On March 9th, 1962 we were officially recognized as a colony of Alpha Gamma Rho. We were officially recognized as a chapter during the first weekend of February in 1963. The University of Illinois (Alpha Chapter) and Michigan State University (Tau Chapter) were two of the brother chapters present at our initiation. We were allowed to skip the chapter name that was next in line in order to recognize these two chapters, thus our chapter is Alpha Tau instead of Alpha Sigma.
With the installation of Alpha Tau came the need for a larger house. During the 1964-1965 academic year, we purchased the Horne Mansion at 1010 North Lafayette. With the growth of our chapter, we added an addition to the house in 1986. We are still located at 1010 North Lafayette.